Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Juxtaposition: a guest post by susy




Good Morning, sweet treats. Susy here from Hey Susy and SusyJack* Contemporary Paper, posting in while Our BonBon is out charting the Wilderness.

Whenever I guest post, I always take it as an opportunity to think about what truly inspires me about the blog I am writing for. And in this case, with Deb's blog, it's her spirit, and the way she so joyously shares her thinking with all of us...not only as an artist...but also as a human being. One of the things I adore about her work is her enthusiasm for juxtaposing the elements she's working with to create a new view.

I came across these beautiful, whimsical shoes created by New York photographer Michel Tcherevkoff (they are created from plants from the NYC flower market) and thought you might enjoy them today. To create a little juxtaposition of my own, I have paired them with a fragment of one of my favorite Stanley Kunitz poems. In case you are not familiar with Mr. Kunitz, he was an avid gardener, and a prolific poet, whose lifelong body of work (he lived to be 100) truly swells with what it is to be Alive.




Visit Michel Tcherevkoff's Website and his book of Shoe Fleurs

Also highly recommended, Stanley Kunitz's poetry. His biography is here. And you can find many more of his poems here. I particularly recommend The Layers. And, the fragment above is from a work entitled Touch Me.

I love the thought of The Dance. And I love the thought of the mysterious engine of desire within us. Deb, thank you for the opportunity to post! I hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did. xx Susy


7 comments:

Bonbon Oiseau said...

susy, thank you. this is a brilliant post...i love how beautiful and thoughtful and absolutely inspiring it is. i am...speechless. you are too kind and too smart and funny and wonderful. i will want to date you when i get home you know.

Clarity said...

Deb, you shall be missed along with your sweet comments on my blog.

I think Susy is doing very well and the shoes are lush - reminiscent of Andy Warhol's snakeskin shoe illustrations.

Enjoying the Kunitz quotes, I recently discovered him and marvel at his words.

Melissa de la Fuente said...

Oh....how lovely Sus! You are so good with words and always finding the most special things. Thank you for this hun, and I bet Deb just loved it!
xo
Melis

Cindy said...

those shoes couldn't be more delightful. fun post!

Tess Kincaid said...

I'm off to read more Kunitz...

susy said...

yaaaaay! everybody!
happy you liked!

t'was fun indeed.

s

What Possessed Me said...

SNOOZ - this is outrageously fantastic. I love the pairing - so original. I envy your creativity. xoxoxox